Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Jerry's Birdathon Preview


'Twas the night before Birdathon ....


Tomorrow (Thursday) is our "carbon-conscious" Birdathon. Our ground rules are simple. We have to look for birds in places we reach without using a car. This means we are walking, cycling or using public transportation.


The weather forecast is dicey, with a growing chance of thunderstorms. This has been exacerbated by my discovery last Sunday that the Olentangy bike trail between Bethel Road and Antrim Park is going to be closed between 8 am and 5 pm - and maybe more - for construction. This is the key north-south bike route for accessing Antrim and points north on the trail, including Highbanks Metro Park. On the other hand, two consecutive days of warm weather with the wind out of the south suggest that a new wave of migrants may be passing through.


I will do my best to post results during the day. Just to get the juices flowing, I've attached a nice photo of two Sandhill Cranes that I spotted up in Lorain County a few weeks ago. I'm sure we won't see this species tomorrow, but it provides some inspiration nonetheless.


Keep your fingers crossed!


No comments: